Slipped Disc Treatment with Our Chiropractors
The human body is fantastic, designed to withstand everything we endure daily. Among many incredible components are discs that help cushion and absorb movement shock. These discs can become damaged and slip, leading to intense pain and suffering. And when that happens, life can seem unbearable, but our team at Lower Cape Chiropractic in Orleans, MA, can help. Learn more about how below.
What Is a Slipped Disc?
A slipped disc (also known as a herniated disc) is the term used to describe a disc injury in which the disc “slips out” of place. However, this description doesn’t adequately describe what is going on.
Each disc between your vertebra is made of a tough outer shell that keeps the jelly-like cushion inside. When the outer surface becomes damaged, it can sometimes herniate or crack – hence the term herniated disc. When this happens, the inner filling can spill out.
What Are the Symptoms of a Slipped Disc?
Though some people do not experience noticeable symptoms with a herniated disc, many do – and they can be debilitating. When the inner filling spills out, it often does so on a surrounding nerve and compresses it. This situation leads to the following symptoms and more.
- You start to experience numbness and tingling, especially in the extremities.
- A leaking disc causes burning in or around your injury.
- Muscle weakness.
- Difficulty walking or performing tasks.
- Pain that increases after sleeping or sitting.
- Sciatica results in pain, numbness, tingling, and more from the lower back to the feet.
How Chiropractic Care Can Help
Our goal is to not only relieve your symptoms but also to address the root cause of them. Through discussions and a thorough assessment of your musculoskeletal system, we’ll determine where the source of your pain lies and create a customized plan to ensure optimal results.
Though every patient’s treatment will vary according to their needs, some effective techniques we utilize include the following:
- Spinal manipulation is a technique that realigns the spine and releases pressure from discs and nerves.
- Therapeutic exercises aim to stretch and strengthen muscles around the target area to help reduce pain, enhance recovery, and prevent further injuries.
- Lifestyle recommendations you can employ at work and home to improve your spinal health and prevent a future disc injury.
Enjoy Lasting Slipped Disc Relief with Our Chiropractors
Slipped discs don’t have to steal your life and your joy. Call Lower Cape Chiropractic at (508) 255-5866 to schedule an appointment with our team. We would happily assist you in Orleans, and Cape Cod, MA. Call our office at (508) 255-5866 to schedule an appointment.