Whiplash is a common injury that occurs when your neck is suddenly moved forward and backward. If often happens during an auto accident, however, it can also be caused by sports activities and falls. At Lower Care Chiropractic in Orleans, MA, we provide various treatments to relieve any pain you may have due to whiplash and improve your overall health. Before visiting us, learn more about the symptoms of this condition below!
What Is Whiplash?
Whiplash causes your neck to overextend beyond its normal range of motion and can result in damage to the ligaments, muscles, and tendons. While it may not produce noticeable symptoms right away, it is still important to seek treatment as soon as possible to prevent further complications.
What Are the Symptoms?
If you have whiplash, you may experience a variety of symptoms. Some of these symptoms include:
- Neck Pain: The pain can be mild or severe and it can come on suddenly or develop gradually.
- Neck Stiffness: People with whiplash often experience stiffness in their neck. The stiffness reduces your range of motion and does not allow you to move your head comfortably.
- Headaches: If you have whiplash, headaches are usually frequent and originate at the base of the skull.
- Upper Back Pain and Shoulder Pain: Whiplash can often cause pain and discomfort in shoulders and upper back.
- Fatigue and Dizziness: Dizziness can occur if you have any misalignments and you may feel fatigue as your body works to eliminate any pain.
Diagnosis and Treatment
If you suspect whiplash, you should seek professional medical help immediately. When you visit us, we will perform a physical examination, ask you about your symptoms, and may also order an MRI or an X-Ray to understand your condition better. Afterward, our chiropractors will create an individualized treatment plan for your recovery. Some treatments we use for whiplash include:
- Stretching Exercises: We can teach you exercises that can help improve neck mobility and reduce stiffness.
- Instrument-Assisted Manipulations: During this technique, our chiropractors use special tools to offer pain relief and improve range of motion.
- Spinal Adjustments: Chiropractic adjustments also help restore motion to the joints. They also stimulate the nervous system and help your spine function properly.
- Therapeutic Massage: A therapeutic massage is an effective and non-invasive technique that is usually used in combination with other methods. Not only that, but it is also beneficial in easing muscle tension in the neck.
Contact us for an Appointment Today
If you are experiencing symptoms of whiplash, our team at Lower Care Chiropractic in Orleans, MA, is happy to help. After we learn more about your condition, we can develop a well-rounded treatment plan to ease your symptoms and help you heal. To schedule your appointment, contact us at (508) 255-5866 today. When you need a chiropractor near me, we look forward to assisting you!